Saturday, November 5, 2011

Kenny Rogers (chickens getting smaller?)

I've just finished cooking beef rendang for the eid celebration tomorrow, and now, before we actually leave town for my grandma's, I want to put in an entry for my food excursion last night for my handful of loyal blog readers, just in case you miss me while I'm gone. Probably n o t? 

Last night was Kenny Rogers. I know what you're thinking. Another western food chain? boring. But bare with me please. Before I actually go into local restaurants, let me get my act together because I don't want to put them out of business. 

Caramel machiato and Americano


Le chick!!

So we arrived at around 7:30 pm, and dilly dallied around the mall looking at -- what all normal late 20's girls look at -- shoes, before we decided to get some meat into us. 

At 8pm, we finally plodded on to Kenny Rogers, settled on the PVC chairs and made ourselves comfy, flipped open the menu, and, after a mild discussion on calories, decided on the quarter chicken, three sides and a muffin. Let me be crystal clear here: two quarter chicken meals. No ones sharing.

The music was good. Some mainstream Indonesian band that made it big in Malaysia. Thank goodness they were no longer spinning and re-spinning Kenny Roger's ancient tracks. Much as I am into country music, Kenny is too old and too melancholy. Which reminds me of that really old track my guitar guru told me to practice. That really melancholic song Sembilu (Splinter, I think) by Ella. I keep messing up the first verse and singing: ...tak terlintas ingatanku terhadapmu (read: you never once crossed my mind) ...and strumming so fast that its become more like a cheerful puppy-love song than a heartbroken one. Oh well. 

The food, lets just say it was good. So good Ning was in extraordinary good spirits the remainder of the night. But that might have been the Americano coffee she ordered because I'm beginning to see a trend. The chicken was gorgeous. And the muffins were sinful (for me at least, being in a lose-weight competition and all). 

All in all a risk-free dining experience, with a substantial amount of food on an enormous plate at a reasonable price. Bottom-line: an excellent place for taking an awesome friend out on her birthday. For the not so awesome friends, there's always McD.

Kenny Rogers,
Alamanda, Putrajaya

Cleanliness: B+
Food: B (chicken portion was really small)
Price: ~RM25 per pax (including drinks)
Satisfaction Level: B+
Service: A-/B+ (friendly waiters, fast order)
Atmosphere: B (friendly atmosphere, music could be better)

1 comment: